Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I'm baaaack

One mini 1.5 day hiatus later, I am here to blog once again. I know I skipped dinner last night, but it wasn't the best dinner anyway. I had this Ramen-esque Miso soup and veggie deal and it tasted alright but looked pretty bizarre before it was cooked. The tofu, seaweed, and veggies came dehydrated in a tiny packet. They grew in the microwave though, kind of like those little foamy creatures you place in water and watch grow overnight. I have a few more varieties of this stuff, so I'm sure I'll have one again and actually provide a picture. Maybe my first one. The soup warmed my tummy and soul and provided me with 48% of my daily sodium need at the same time! That percentage would probably make anyone in their right mind run to another aisle at the grocery store, but I felt compelled to try it out because my sodium need is sky-high. Long story short, I have a knack for fainting (in a myriad of situations: being stressed, getting blood drawn, talking about graphic injuries, etc.) and after many efforts to find out the cause, I just recently learned it's because I have abnormally low blood pressure. This means that in situations where BP falls normally, mine does not have the room to fall and I go down. 

The only problem with it this sodium bit that consuming an excessive amount each day makes me so darn thirsty! Last night was no exception, and I was kind of bored with straight up water but didn't have anything else, so I tried to quench my thirst with random snacks: dried fruit, Vitamuffin, PB, etc. Not the best idea, I know. Actually, it wasn't even a remotely good idea because duh, Jessie... thirst can't be quenched with food. Oh well. Live and learn. I felt kinda guilty about it (sometimes I can be an emotional eater and I think last night's snackiness was also due to anxiety related to my course load this semester) but, to steal a line from Hairspray, "yesterday is history and it's never comin' back." Right on, Queen Latifa. Right on.

That being said, let's talk about today!! For breakfast, I enjoyed one of my all-time favorite cafeteria breakfasts: whole wheat toast dipped in cottage cheese. Sounds weird, but the textures and flavors together rock my world. Every. Time. I also had a side of grapes. Looking back later in the morning, I realized that breakfast was kinda small, so I made up for it with my pre-workout snack: 1 McIntosh apple and a packet of Quaker maple and brown sug. oatmeal. Good thing, too... my workout today was a bear! I did 60 minutes on the treadmill and gradually increased my speed every 8-10ish minutes until I reached 7 mph... which is a lot for me, especially to sustain. I've had asthma since grade school and at one time, I couldn't run 1 mile without wheezing. Exercise really is the best cure. 

For lunch I had a little less than 1 cup of leftover tomato soup and a biiiiig salad with all sorts of goodies: spinach, hardboiled egg, chickpeas, cucumbers, tomatoes, cantaloupe, feta, and some fat free honey mustard. It was a very beautiful salad. I do wish I photographed it but I keep forgetting!!! I should write it on my forehead or something.

This is an obnoxiously long post. Wow. Dessert from lunch: 1 melt-in-your-mouth frosted sugar cookie. Dinner: Slim' pickins: a pita filled with hummus, turkey, tomato, and swiss. 1 cup veggie soup... I'm diggin the soups lately. Plus 1 cup skim milk.

The end.


No comments:

Post a Comment